Beginning on July 19, artists, labels and managers who distribute their music to Spotify now have the ability to submit music directly to Spotify official playlist editors like never before. Submitting to playlists is a crucial part of promoting your music. Getting your music onto Spotify’s official playlists can really give your music a huge boost. Spotify is flooded with thousands of requests a day, and is changing up their process for accepting submissions.
Originally, Spotify used a series of online forms, only accessible to partners such as labels, managers, and distributors; now they’ve opened it up to the general public through the “Spotify for Artists” web app.
Before you get started, there are a few things you should know, and a user guide you can follow. In order to guarantee that your track will be placed into your follower’s “Discover Weekly” playlist, follow this criteria and you should be good to go.
- Users may only submit tracks that have been submitted for distribution, but have not gone live to the public.
- Spotify has requested that users send the track they desire to have reviewed one to two weeks in advance of planned release date.
- Artists and partners may only submit one track at a time, until the track has been released.
This is just the Beta version of this tool, there are plenty of updates coming, as they intend to continue iterating the product as they get feedback.
To get started:
- Head to artists.spotify.com and select “New Upcoming” tabs.
- Select “Submit Song” and choose the song you’d like to send for review.
- Fill out the description for your track to the best of your ability. The more information you provide, the better!
After a week or two, check your Spotify for artists homepage to see if you’ve been added to any editorial playlists. If not, don’t be discouraged! The curators at Spotify receive over 20,000 submissions a day, and the numbers will only increase.
Keep at it, keep releasing music, and keep improving! To distribute a new song and try out the new feature, head to your dashboard.