Welcome to Repost by SoundCloud, a service provided by Repost Network, Inc., a member of the SoundCloud Group (“Repost”, “we”, “us”, or “our”).
- Our Privacy Principles
- The Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Share Your Information
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Your Choices and Controls
- Contact Information
Our Privacy Principles
Information We Collect
The personal information we collect is related to providing, maintaining, and developing the Platform and its features, and falls into three general categories:
- Information you provide to us
- Information collected automatically
- Information we obtain from third parties
Information You Provide
We ask for and collect the personal information described below when you use the Platform. You need to register for a Repost Network account in order to use most of our Services and related Applications, and by doing so, you will need to provide us with certain information:
- Repost Network Application Information - When you apply to Repost, you will need to provide your real name, your email address, your date of birth, your location (city level), and indicate what you are looking to get out of Repost. Optionally, you can provide information on how you heard about Repost.
- Repost Network Profile Information -
Certain Repost features, including Apps like SC
Planner, allow you, at your discretion, to provide additional information in order
create a profile or use the features and/or Apps. For example, the following
may be publicly accessible and may be viewed by anyone accessing the Website, or
our other Services:
- a user name (which may be your real name or a pseudonym)
- a profile picture, profile header image or avatar
- details of your other websites and social media profiles, including links to those pages (but not your email address)
- any additional information you provide as part of your public profile, such as your real name, information about how you categorize yourself as a creator (e.g., whether you are a musician, a label or some other category of creator), and information about how you categorize your content (e.g., genre)
- Communications - When you communicate with Repost by email or through the Platform, or use the Platform to communicate with other users, including through any of our Apps, we may collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Survey Information - If you participate in any survey, you may provide certain personal data as part of your response, unless you respond anonymously.
- Information You Post - You may provide personal data when you upload your Content to the Platform, including metadata, or when you use certain interactive or social features that may be available through the Platform.
This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract (e.g., Terms of Service) between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. We may also process this information in light of our legitimate interest in improving the Platform and giving our users the best experience. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services and features of the Platform.
Information We Collect Automatically
- Usage Information – We collect information about your interactions with the Platform, including the pages that you visit and links you click on, the time, frequency and duration of your visits to the Platform, and whether you interact with email messages, for example, if you opened, clicked on, or forwarded the email message.
- Log Data – We automatically collect log information when you use the Platform. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Platform (including links to third party sites or services), Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, your browser type and operating system, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Platform.
- Location Data – When you use certain Services or features of the Platform, we or our service providers may collect data about your general location (e.g., an IP address). Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings.
- Device Information – We collect information from and about the devices you use, including how you interact with the Platform and information about the device itself, such as the hardware model, operating system, IP addresses, cookie information, device settings, mobile device identifiers, apps installed, browser type, language, battery level and time zone. This information allows us to recognize and associate your activity, and provide a personalized experience consistently across all of your devices.
- Software Development Kits – We may engage third parties, including our business partners and service providers, who use mobile SDKs to collect information and information related to how mobile devices interact with the Platform. An SDK is computer code that app developers can include in their apps to enable ads to be shown, data to be collected and related services and functionality to be implemented. A mobile SDK is in effect the mobile app version of a pixel tag or beacon. We may use this technology, for instance, to analyze how you interact with the Platform and to enable analytics or other features through mobile devices.
Information From Other Sources
- Service Providers and Business Partners – We may also receive information about you from our service providers and business partners, including companies that assist with payment processing, analytics, account management, hosting, customer and technical support, and other services which we use to deliver the Platform and improve your Repost experience. We explain in more detail why and how we use this information below.
How We Use Your Information
We use the personal information we collect from you, including with the help of automated systems and decision making, for a range of different business purposes according to different legal bases of processing.
- Provide, Improve, and Develop the Platform
- To operate and maintain your Repost Network account and our other Websites, Applications and Services, and to provide you with access to and use of the Platform. Your email address and password are used to identify you when you log into the Platform. Your device-IDs may be used to ensure that you are in control of the devices that have access to your account.
- To identify you as the creator of the Content that you submit and/or distribute and other contributions that you make to the Platform.
- We conduct surveys and research, test features in development, and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new features, and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities.
- Your email will be used to send you service updates and notifications about your account and the Platform.
- To respond to you about any comment, question, or enquiry you have submitted to us.
- We use your age to enable age relevant restrictions and comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Information you provide when applying to join the Repost is used to respond to you regarding your application to join Repost.
We process this information in light of our legitimate interest in improving the Platform and giving our users the best experience, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you (e.g., Terms of Service).
- Maintain a Safe and Secure Environment
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other suspicious activity.
- Verify and authenticate your identity and prevent unauthorized or illegal activity.
- Enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- To prevent or take action against activities that are, or may be, in breach of our Terms of Service or applicable law.
- To provide you with customer and technical support.
We process this information in light of our legitimate interest in improving the Platform and giving our users the best experience, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you (e.g., Terms of Service).
- Personalize Your Experience and Marketing
- To improve your experience and personalize the Platform.
- To customize marketing content and measure performance of any email, push notification, or in-app message we may send to you.
- Administer contests or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Repost or its partners.
- Use automated systems and decision making to profile user characteristics and infer preferences based on information that you provide to us, your interactions with the Platform, your profile information, and information obtained from third parties. This data is used to create groups of users, called segments, who share similar characteristics and interests; we use segments to serve personalized marketing messages. We also use automated systems to associate your activity over time across devices, and may associate activity and accounts under a single user ID, in order to determine that certain devices are related to each other and provide you with a personalized experience across devices and platforms.
- Combine information we collect about you with information from business partners and use it to serve more relevant marketing messages and offers.
We may use your data for other purposes, provided we disclose the purposes and use to you at the relevant time, and provided that you consent to the proposed use of your personal data.
Sharing of Your Information
This section describes how the information collected or generated through your use of the Platform may be shared by you or by us.
- Through Your Account – In the event you choose to grant other users access to your Repost account, or in the event you set up our Split Pay feature, some personal information, such as your name and email address, will be available to those users. Additionally, if you use SC Planner, your SC Planner profile will be visible to other users in the “Leaderboard” section of the App, unless you elect to make your profile invisible in your settings.
- With Your Consent – We will disclose your information if you have specifically agreed that we may do so. We will make this clear to you at the point at which we collect your information, including the purpose(s) for which we will use the personal data.
- Service Providers – We use a variety of third party service providers to provide services to us or to our users on our behalf. These service providers have access to your information solely to perform these tasks on our behalf, and are contractually bound to implement appropriate organizational and technical security measures to protect against unauthorized disclosure of personal data, and only to process personal data at our written direction and then only to the extent necessary to provide their services to us. We share your personal information with such service providers based on our legitimate interests and in order to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you, including the Terms of Service.
- Payment Provider - To support offering our Platform behind a yearly fee, we work with the third party payment provider PayPal and Stripe to handle all subscription payments and billing. If you purchase a subscription, your payment details such as card holder name, card number, billing address and other payment verification information will be used to process your account subscription and renewals and to collect your payment.
- Consumer Stores – The Platform allows you to distribute and share a variety of content with Consumer Stores. We may share information with these Consumer Stores that license this content to help them understand how the content you provide is performing, including insights about general user listening trends and preferences. We use technical measures to ensure the data is de-identified and/or aggregated so it does not identify you directly. We share this data based on our legitimate interest in helping Consumer Stores deliver high performing content and to ensure the fulfillment of our contract with those partners.
- Social Media – For Repost users outside of the EU/EEA, where permissible under applicable law, we may share your email address (in hashed form, so that it does not identify you) with third parties like Facebook or Snapchat in order to target you with ads for Repost products on Facebook, including using Custom Audiences, on third party websites and applications in the Facebook Audience Network and Snapchat. We may also allow Facebook, Snapchat and other social media platforms to collect information through cookies and similar technologies like pixels in order to serve ads for Repost products and services on those third party websites and apps and drive users to our Platform. In order to measure the effectiveness of and optimize these marketing campaigns, these technologies track activity taken across devices after a user sees a Repost ad, in order to determine performance metrics like sign ups, visits to the Platform, and purchases. We undertake these activities based on our legitimate interest in acquiring new customers and offering products we think you may be interested in. Any questions regarding how these social media platform service providers process your personal data should be directed to such third party platforms.
- Aggregated Data – We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we render in such a way that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other pseudonymised information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and business development, and other business purposes.
- Third Party Applications – To the extent Repost allows you to connect your account or link information from your account with other third party applications and you choose to do so, you may be sharing certain information, including personal data, with such applications.
- Compliance with Laws – We may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement agencies, and governmental authorities (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against Repost, (iii) to respond to verified requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service and other agreements with users, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Repost, its employees, and members of the public.
- Protecting our Rights – We may disclose your information if we feel this is necessary in order to protect or defend our legitimate rights and interests, or those of our users, employees, directors, officers, or shareholders, and/or to ensure the safety and security of the Platform and/or the Repost community.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
to deliver, measure, and improve the
in various ways, the cookies we use generally fall into one of the following
- Operational – These cookies are necessary to allow us to operate the Platform as you have requested. For example, they let us authenticate your account and recognize what type of subscriber you are, so we can provide you with the Platform accordingly.
- Functional/Preferences – These cookies let us operate certain functions of the Platform in line with the choices you make. These cookies enable us to remember you in-between visits. For example, when you continue to use or come back to the Platform, we will recognize your user name and remember your settings and content preferences. Deletion of these types of cookies will result in limited functionality of the Platform.
- Performance/Analytics – We use these cookies to monitor and assess how the Platform is performing and where it can be improved. For example, we use these cookies to test different versions of our Platform to learn which features or content users prefer. We also use these cookies to analyse how people access and use our Platform. For instance, we may obtain information about your device and how users engage with the Platform or from email newsletters, including whether you opened or forwarded a newsletter or clicked on any of its content. This information tells us about our newsletters’ effectiveness and helps us ensure that we’re delivering information you find interesting.
“Do Not Track Signals”
Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal. Because there currently isn’t an industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring DNT signals, we are not configured to respond to them at this time. We await the result of work by the privacy community and industry to determine when such a response is appropriate and what form it should take.
Repost maintains appropriate technical, administrative, and physical safeguards that are designed to prevent unauthorized access, use or disclosure of personal information we collect or store and to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk of varying likelihood and severity for the rights and freedoms of natural persons that may be involved with our processing operations. Repost regularly monitors our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, it is not possible to guarantee the security of information transmitted over the Internet. You use the Platform and provide us with information at your own discretion and risk.
International Data Transfers
Use of Repost By Children
Repost is not intended for use by children. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from any person who is under the age of 16 or allow them to register an account without obtaining parental consent in accordance with applicable law. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will either obtain parental consent or delete this information as quickly as possible in accordance with applicable law. If you have reason to believe that we may have improperly collected any such personal data, please notify us immediately at email@example.com.
Your Choices and Controls
We do our best to give you as much choice as possible regarding the amount of information you provide to us, and the control you have over that information.
- Managing Repost Settings. Repost allows
you to manage some of the information you
and the ways in which we communicate with you when you use Repost, including as
described below. Please note you are solely responsible for your choices and keeping
your settings up-to-date.
- Emails – Other than important service updates and essential notifications about the Platform or your account, you may opt-out of or unsubscribe from all Repost commercial emails and newsletters.
- Updates - If you don’t want to receive products announcements and other Repost news and updates by email, you can adjust your settings accordingly under the Notifications Preferences tabs.
- Marketing – If you do not want to receive personalized marketing messages for Repost products or services, or those of our partners, you can adjust your settings accordingly under the Notifications Preferences tab.
- Deleting Your Account – Subject to the Terms of Service, if you would like to delete your account, you may do so by contacting us at our Help Center. If you delete your account, data associated with your account (except for backup copies) will be deleted and may not be recoverable. We therefore advise you to copy or backup all Content uploaded to your account before deletion.
- Managing Device Settings
- To opt-out of location data collection that may occur when using our Apps, you can use the settings of your device.
- Managing Browser Settings
Exercising Your EU Privacy Rights
If you reside in the EU or EEA, you may exercise the rights described in this section, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
- Data Access and Portability
- You may be entitled to request copies of your personal information held by us and that they be provided in machine-readable format.
- Change or Correct Data
- Where you cannot update data yourself through your account settings, you have the right to ask us to correct change, update or rectify your data.
- Data Retention and Deletion
- We generally retain data for as long as your account is in existence or as needed to provide the Platform. However, specific retention times can vary based on the context of the processing we perform and on our legal obligations.
- You have the right to ask us to delete all or some of the personal data we hold about you, except to the extent such personal data is necessary to fulfill our obligations under the Terms of Service.
- We may need to retain some of your personal data even after you have closed your account if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, or where we have a legitimate interest in doing so (e.g., to prevent fraud and abuse and maintain and enhance security).
- Objection to Processing
- You may object to processing your personal information in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the information to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the information for direct marketing).
- If you object to such processing, Repost will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims or obligations.
- Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, under certain circumstances, ask Repost to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes.
- Restriction of Processing
- Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information.
- Withdrawing Consent
- Where you provide consent to specific processing of your personal information by Repost, you may withdraw such consent at any time by sending a communication to Repost specifying the specific consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal.
- Lodging Complaints
You have the right to lodge complaints about the data processing activities
by Repost before a competent data protection authority. A list of EU data
authorities is available at:
- You have the right to lodge complaints about the data processing activities carried out by Repost before a competent data protection authority. A list of EU data protection authorities is available at:
Notice To California Users
Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), we are providing the following details regarding the categories of personal information about California residents we have collected or disclosed within the preceding 12 months.
We collected and disclosed, including through service providers, the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers, such as your name, email address, residential address, date of birth, social security number, as well as IP addresses, device IDs, anonymous Repost user IDs, and other similar identifiers;
- Financial, tax, and payment information you provide when you create an account or use certain features of the Platform;
- Commercial information, such as revenue and/or transaction information related to your Content and use of the Platform;
- Audio, images, text, and other electronic information, such as the Content you distribute through the Platform; and
- General geolocation data.
We disclosed the categories of personal information above, including to our service providers and affiliates, for a range of operational business purposes, including:
- To operate and maintain the Platform and your account;
- To provide the Services and distribute your Content;
- To market and sell our products and services;
- To perform research and development;
- To perform data and business analytics;
- To detect and prevent fraud or abuse;
- To perform identity verification;
- To process payments;
- To process customer requests;
- To perform security and other risk testing;
- To undertake quality assurance measures;
- To maintain our systems and infrastructure;
- To comply with law, exercise our rights or defend legal claims;
- To perform accounting, audits and other internal functions; and
- To otherwise operate our business and achieve our business objectives.
We do not “sell” personal information for purposes of CCPA or otherwise.
Exercising Your California Privacy Rights
CCPA and other California law provides California residents with the additional rights listed below. You may exercise any of the rights described in this section by contacting us at email@example.com. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
- Right to Know & Access. You have the
to know and access what data we have
collected about you over the past 12 months, including:
- The categories of personal information we’ve collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information;
- The categories of personal information about you which we shared and/or sold;
- The categories of third parties we have shared or sold personal information to; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- Right to Deletion.
- You have the right to request that we delete personal information we have collected from you. In some instances, however, we may decline to honor your request where an exception applies or to the extent the personal information is necessary to perform any contract between you and us, including the Terms of Service.
- Other Rights.
- You can request certain information about our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. This request may be made once a year. You also have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights listed above.
Last Amended: April 1, 2020